Most homeowners know that their HVAC system requires an air filter to function properly. However, what you may not know is that it is important to change that air filter every 2-3 months if you want your equipment to operate at peak efficiency. With summer behind us, fall is the perfect time to change your unit’s filter—given that you likely used your AC more frequently in recent months and your filter is likely dirty. Keep reading to learn the top 5 reasons to change your air filter here, from Donmar Heating, Cooling & Plumbing, and make sure to call our Sterling HVAC experts for all your heating and AC needs.
The Top 5 Reasons to Change Your Air Filter Regularly Are:
- It Lowers Your Energy Bills: Tired of heating and cooling bills that just seem to keep going up? This may be happening because your system’s air filter is clogged, forcing it to work harder to distribute hot and cold air throughout your house. By replacing your air filter regularly, you can increase your HVAC system’s energy efficiency, thereby reducing your overall monthly energy bills.
- It Provides More Consistent Temperatures: Clogged or dirty filters prevent air from flowing properly throughout your home, meaning your space may not get an adequate amount of air to provide heating or cooling relief. As the temperature outside drops and you prepare for colder winter weather, you should consider replacing your filter now, so your heater is ready to provide warm air and keep you comfortable throughout the next few months.
- It improves your health: Clogged air filters cannot do their job properly, as containments and allergens that would normally be filtered out by your system ended up getting redistributed throughout your house. The effects of poor indoor air quality are particularly bad for those with allergies or respiratory issues, yet failing to change your air filter can also cause breathing problems, itchy eyes and sore throats, and even headaches for everyone in your home. If you’ve noticed your air feeling stale and stagnant lately, or you seem to be getting sick more often, then it is a good idea to change your air filter right away.
- It Helps Your AC Function: The evaporate coils in your air conditioner extract heat from the air to keep your home cool. Yet when your air filter is dirty, air may not flow over the coils correctly, which can cause your entire system to fail. If you run your AC unit a lot during the summer, you should be careful, as this can cause your coils to freeze. If, however, you run your AC frequently and you fail to change the air filters, you could end up ruining the coils completely. For this reason, it is better to purchase new filters every couple of months—rather than eventually having to undergo the very expensive process of coil replacement.
- It Prevents Furnace Break-Downs: As mentioned above, your system has to work harder to accommodate for dirty and clogged air filters. In the case of your furnace, if you push your system for too long without filter replacement, it may break down altogether. Once again, it is much cheaper to just change your filters periodically for this reason, instead of going through costly furnace replacement.
Contact us online to earn more about filter options, or call our Sterling HVAC pros to replace your air filter today at (703) 457-8676.