Should I Replace My AC This Year?
Signs You Need a New Cooling System
The average air conditioner will last for around a decade, perhaps longer if well-maintained. If your AC is approaching ten years old (or is older), you may be wondering if now is the time to replace it or not. Answering the question of whether or not you should replace your air conditioning system can be tricky. These systems tend to cost thousands of dollars, and you want to make sure you are making the right investment and making it at the right time.
You don't want to replace your system if you still have a few more years of good use out of it. But you also don't want to keep throwing money away on repairs for a system that is well past its prime. Below we go over a few of the signs that your air conditioner is struggling so that you can start planning for a replacement. Keep reading to learn more.
Common Symptoms of AC Trouble
Aside from when your air conditioner doesn't turn on, do you know the signs of an AC repair problem? Knowing when your cooling system is struggling can help you schedule maintenance and repairs before you suffer a full system breakdown and can help extend the life of your current system. Therefore, if you see any of the signs below, reach out to Donmar Heating, Cooling & Plumbing for help.
Signs of AC trouble include:
- AC has to run continuously to maintain the temperature you set
- AC cannot reach the temperature you set
- Thermostat is malfunctioning or won't turn on
- Warm air is coming out of your vents and registers
- The system turns on, but there is no air coming from your vents and registers
- You smell smoke or burning while the system is running
- You see ice on your condenser coils
- The AC unit is making strange sounds or rocking/shaking
- The AC won't turn on at all
What to Consider Before Replacing Your Air Conditioner
Generally speaking, our AC experts will look for viable repair options before replacing an air conditioner. If we can make a repair, and the repair will solve your problem long-term, we will always recommend a repair. However, there will come a time when you need to replace your system. But with so many systems on the market, how do you know which one to purchase?
Things to think about when purchasing a new air conditioner:
- The size of your home
- Your cooling needs
- How your current cooling system is configured
- What you like about your current system
- What you dislike about your current system
- Your budget
Before purchasing a new air conditioner, we recommend that you speak with an experienced AC installation technician, like ours at Donmar Heating, Cooling & Plumbing. We can help you select the system that will best meet your needs and which will be appropriately sized for your home, ensuring that you get the right system for you.
How to Get the Most Out of Your New AC
Once your new system is installed, you probably want to know what you can do to ensure that you enjoy the full lifespan. The best way to ensure that your new cooling system stays in good condition is to establish a yearly maintenance routine with the professional AC experts at Donmar Heating, Cooling & Plumbing. Maintenance not only helps get your air conditioning ready for the upcoming summer, but it also gives you a chance to stay up to date with repairs and replace worn-out parts before they cause a breakdown.
More ways to keep your AC running smoothly include:
- Keep the external AC unit clean and free of debris
- Cover the AC unit during the winter to prevent damage from ice, snow, and pests
- Replace your air filters every three months, or more frequently if you have pets or allergies
- Have your air ducts cleaned every three to five years
All of this contributes to keeping your system in good shape, enabling it to operate at maximum efficiency for years to come.
Is 2022 the year you replace your AC? Reach out to our team to discuss your options.