Why Oversized HVAC Equipment is a Bad Idea
The bigger your air conditioner is, the more cool air it provides, right? Wrong! Some HVAC installers may claim that an oversized unit will provide a higher level of comfort, but the truth is that an improperly sized air conditioner is prone to breakdowns and will cost you a lot more money in the long run, and won’t provide you with any noticeable benefits.
What You Really Get from Oversized Air Conditioners
- Higher energy bills – Because of their size, these units require more energy to start us and run, making them extremely inefficient.
- Higher humidity levels – Every art of an oversized unit is bigger, including the condenser coils. Because of their size, the condenser coils won’t be able to absorb enough water to drip into the pan and be drained, allowing that water to be re-absorbed into your air supply.
- Short cycling – Short cycling occurs when your AC starts and stops repeatedly in a short period. Oversized units are built to cool larger properties, and thus don’t need to run very long to cool your home, making short cycling inevitable.
- More wear-and-tear – The aforementioned short cycling means the components of your unit get put through a lot, causing them to degrade faster.
- Higher repair and maintenance costs – With more accumulated damages, you’ll find yourself paying or repairs and maintenance much more often than you would with a properly-sized unit.
Is Your Home Suffering the Effects of an Oversized Air Conditioner?
When you got your air conditioner installed, you likely trusted your installer to find the best unit for your needs. Alternatively, your unit may have already been installed when you moved into your home. In either case, you could have an oversized air conditioner and not realize it. If your living with an oversized air conditioner, you’ll be experiencing all of the negative side effects listed above and more.
Additional Signs of an Oversized Unit Include:
- Uneven cooling throughout your home
- Poor indoor air quality
- Loud noises when you turn on your AC
- Mold or mildew in your home
Get the Professional Help You Need
If you’re dealing with oversized HVAC equipment, our licensed technicians can help. We’ll help you find a reliable, effective air conditioner that’s just the right size for your home, giving you the cool air you need to stay comfortable without the expensive side effects.
Call (703) 457-8676 to get a free estimate for a new air conditioning unit from our team!